Traffic accidents are one of the most serious problems facing us in our time and are of great concern to us and to all members of society.
A traffic accident is defined as an accident caused by vehicles or their load while on the road, resulting in injury, death, or burning of the vehicle in motion, or accidental loss of property.
Causes of traffic accidents
Traffic accidents are due to several reasons, including:
- Increasing speed: Increasing the speed of the vehicle causes loss of control and hinders the ability to avoid accidents. An increase in vehicle speed is one of the main causes of traffic accidents, contributing 43.6% of the total causes of traffic accidents.
- Wrong traffic signs: Red traffic signs are the second leading cause of traffic accidents, accounting for 18.4% of all road traffic accidents.
- Do not overtake properly: Wrong overtaking of vehicles causes 16.5% of traffic accidents.
- Reckless driving: Some drivers are imagined that they own the road. They do not care about the other vehicles around them. They do not care about their safety or the safety of others, resulting in their recklessness and reckless driving to heinous traffic accidents.
- Lack of focus while driving. This happens when the driver is busy talking on the phone, talking to his companions, or not focusing on the road while driving on his left and right, as well as his busy turning the tapes, all of which causes the driver’s distraction and causes traffic accidents.
- Non-compliance with public safety requirements: such as not using a seat belt while driving.
- Driving by unqualified persons: Driving minors and adolescents is one of the causes of traffic accidents. They do not care about the risks they will be exposed to while driving without awareness or training. This topic.
- Non-periodic maintenance of the vehicle: Periodic maintenance of tires and brakes is necessary to avoid traffic accidents caused by failure.
- The use of poisons and forbidden pills: Some drivers take these toxins thinking that they activate them and expel sleep from their eyes and cause serious effects on the mind, which leads to traffic accidents.
- Driving the visually impaired and elderly vehicles.
- Driving when feeling tired and sleepy.
- Violators should not be held accountable for traffic rules and regulations.
- The presence of bulk animals on the roads.
Traffic accident elements
Each road accident has three components:
- The human element: represented by the driver of the vehicle, his companions, and pedestrians on the street.
- Road: It is every place for vehicles, pedestrians or animals.
- Vehicle: are the most important of these elements, because, without their presence, there would be no accidents.
The most common road traffic injuries
Road traffic injuries vary depending on the location of the person in the vehicle and the street and take public safety precautions such as seat belts or others. There are several common road traffic injuries that cause a person’s disability, including:
Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injury can cause a neurological disorder that can cause a total or partial disability depending on the degree of injury to which a person has been exposed. Chronic, clinical ulcers, inability to walk due to limb paralysis and spastic muscle strain, as well as inability to control exits, between 15-40 of every million people worldwide suffer spinal cord injuries.
Concussion and head injuries
Most deaths from traffic accidents are due to head injuries and concussions, with 100 out of 100,000 people getting head injuries each year, divided between simple 20% and moderate to severe 80%.
Traffic accidents are one of the main causes of limb amputation in young people, with 20% of amputations being in the lower limbs and 75% in the upper limbs, most of which occur in men aged 15-45 years.
Burns are serious problems associated with traffic accidents, especially when there are a large number of people in the vehicle during the accident; because of the death, they may cause to people injured as a result of rising smoke and toxic gases or exposure to thermal burns.
Bruises of the rib cage, heart, and lungs
Some traffic accidents cause these bruises, resulting in fractures of the rib cage and rupture of internal organs such as the heart and lungs, and can also cause the aorta to explode.
Injuries to the abdomen and its organs
The cause of this type of injuries is due to traffic accidents by 85% of the injured; traffic accidents are the main cause of them, and the death rate due to injuries of the abdomen and its members 6% of the total deaths due to traffic accidents.
The fractures associated with traffic accidents range from simple fractures and multiple fractures associated with rupture in the surrounding tissues, nerves, and muscles, and the proportion of fractures in the world about 2% of the population, half of them due to traffic accidents, and can be accompanied by long bone fractures internal bleeding may Causes death, as in pelvic bone fractures or paralysis, as a result of damage to the peripheral or arterial nerves caused by broken limb pressure.
Other injuries: Injuries and dysfunction of the diaphragm, veins, and arteries in the neck, kidneys, and other serious complications, such as strokes, as well as jaw fractures, facial injuries, and tissue rupture.