The 80/20 Rule in Romantic Relationships

Here is the most important relationship advice we will give you.

If you don’t know the 80/20 rule, you’re already wrong. This rule made me reconsider all the relationships I had, as well as those I planned to start.

We humans are always looking for the best and we believe that the grass is always greener elsewhere. But it’s wrong. This is what the 80/20 rule teaches us. In general, in a romantic relationship, you get about 80% of what you want. It looks pretty good because it’s a fairly high percentage. However, we also need the remaining 20%. We argue, we split up and we complain because, as we have already seen, we always want what we cannot have.

Imagine that your boyfriend or your girlfriend is super loyal, attentive, attentive and understanding. However, he is not as sociable as you. You always want to go out with friends, go to parties and hang out with a group, but he or she prefers to stay at home to relax and watch Netflix. Instead of focusing on the 80% of things you want and get, you focus on the 20% that are wrong (that your partner is anti-social).

Then comes the day you meet the one who makes up the 20%. He or she is an extrovert, always ready to hang out and never refuses an opportunity to party. This partner seems perfect and corresponds to the 20% that you miss. So what are you doing ? You naturally think that this person is perfect for you and you break up with your current partner for this person.

Everything looks perfect, now you have everything you want, don’t you? But no. You will quickly realize that even if you have this 20%, you only have 20%. You don’t get 80% of what you want anymore because you left it for the one thing you missed at the start.

The 20% is placed before your eyes and seems to be the best option, but you forget that when you get the one thing you were missing, you lose everything you had. You give up 80% happiness for only 20%. You gave up on an attentive, respectful and extraordinary partner for an unpleasant, drunk partygoer, because you thought it was what you wanted.

This rule may seem obvious, but the next time you complain about your boyfriend or girlfriend, I bet you will think twice and remember the 80% you receive every day. Forget the 20% which is probably unimportant anyway.

Appreciate the loved one and always let them know. Don’t get caught wanting that extra 20%.

Like it? Share with your friends!